The name Universitas Brawijaya (Brawijaya University) was granted by the President of the Republic of Indonesia through a wire no. 258/K/61 sent on July 11, 1961. This name is derived from the title of Kings of Majapahit, a great kingdom in Indonesia from 12th to 15th centuries.
UB transformed into a state university on January 5, 1963, following a Presidential Decree issued earlier in the same year. This date was later promulgated as UB's anniversary (speciﬁcally called Dies Natalies among Indonesian academic society members).
Previously, Universitas Brawijaya was publicly known with acronym of UNBRA and then UNIBRAW. On Universitas Brawijaya Senate meeting on March 17, 2008, UB was inaugurated as the oﬃcial acronym of Universitas Brawijaya.
The Hymn of UB was composed by a student of the Faculty of Veterinary and Animal Husbandry called Yanardhana in 1963, while the Mars of UB was composed by Lilik Sugiarto in 1996. Both songs are still frequently sung up to this day.
UB campus is situated in the city of Malang, East Java, in a strategic location can easily be reached by public transportations. With trees growing in all corners of the campus and the cool air of Malang, UB indeed is a very fresh campus. As a city of education, Malang has been developing rapidly. This seems to be inseparable from the glory of East Java in the past.
Today, UB is one of the leading universities in Indonesia with more than 60,000 students in various degrees ranging from the Diploma Program, Bachelor's Degree Program, Master's Degree Program, Doctoral Degree Program, and Medical Specialist Program, in 12 Faculties, 2 faculty-level Programs, 1 Vocational Program, and 1 Postgraduate Program.
Faculty of Economics and Business
Originally, Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Brawijaya was Malang College of Economics (MCE). It was founded by the Educational Foundation of Malang College of Economics (EFMCE) on 27 June 1957, under Notary Act number 26 dated 15 August 1957. Then the foundation was chaired by Major Polak, who in the same time was the Head of the Department at the Faculty of Teaching and Educational Science (FTES) Airlangga University located in Malang.
Becoming a higher education institution in economics and business that has an international reputation, entrepreneurial spirit, spiritual insight, humanity, and environmental awareness.
- Delivering research based economics and business education with international reputation, entrepreneurial spirit, spiritual insight, humanity, and environmental awareness.
- Nurturing and developing knowledge and technology in economics and business through research that promote local wisdom and universal values.
- Inspiring, empowering, enlightening and serving society through education, research, training, and consultation.
Faculty of Economics
- Produce leaders who have entrepreneurship spirit and divinity awareness.
- Discover and develop Economics and Business discipline and entrepreneurship model based on local and universal values
- Discover and develop an innovative economics and business educational system and technique
- Empower society through education, training, mentoring, and consultation